The Queensland Government's Safe Night Out Strategy is a plan to stamp out alcohol- and drug-related violence and ensure Queensland's nightlife is safe for everyone.
On Tuesday 26 August 2014, the Safe Night Out Legislation Amendment Bill 2014 was passed by the Queensland Government. This has resulted in a number of changes to the Liquor Act 1992 that liquor licensees need to be aware of. These include:
- establishing Safe Night Precincts in key entertainment areas across Queensland
- changes to liquor licences and permits
- use of ID scanners in certain licensed venues
- improved liquor licensing compliance arrangements.
On Thursday 25 September 2014, various provisions of the Safe Night Out Legislation Amendment Act 2014 came into force following a Proclamation. On 14 October 2014, amendments to the Liquor Regulation 2002 were also made. These have created further important updates to the following topics:
- Safe Night Precincts
- liquor licensees and use of CCTV
- responsible service, supply and promotion of liquor and 'preserving amenity'.