All your Questions answered in one place
Why choose Galaxy Training Australia?
Our courses are designed to be easy, flexible and interactive. What’s more, you can start, stop and resume as and when you like. Rest assured, you shall have a great user experience.
Our USP lies in the fact that we specialise in RSA Online and RSG Online courses which are valid in QLD, WA, SA, NT, ACT and TAS.
Are these courses nationally recognised/accredited?
Yes, the courses are Nationally Accredited and Recognised.
Which are recent changes in RSA or RSG training?

In Queensland, with effect from July 1, 2013, the State is no longer responsible for the regulation of trainers offering Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) and Responsible Service of Gaming (RSG) courses. This regulation is, now, under the jurisdiction of the Commonwealth Government.

The required certification in Queensland is a Statement of Attainment, issued on completion of the national training package competency 'Provide Responsible Service of Alcohol' and/or ‘Provide Responsible Gambling Services’.

A Statement of Attainment does not expire once obtained, even though the code identifying the course (currently, SITHFAB002 and SITHGAM001) keeps changing.

When does my RSA or RSG Certificate/Statement of Attainment expire?

A Statement of Attainment once obtained does not expire, even though the code identifying this course (currently, SITHFAB002 and SITHGAM001) regularly changes. This means, if you hold a Statement of Attainment for 'Provide Responsible Service of Alcohol' and/or ‘Provide Responsible Gambling Services’ from anytime in the past, it remains valid irrespective of a change in the course code.

For further details, please check the following links –

I am an Overseas Student (on student visa), can I do RSA/RSG training with Galaxy Training Australia?

Short answer: No.

If you are an overseas student in Australia, you are permitted to undertake an additional course (in education or training) at the same time as the principal course, for which you hold a student visa. However, please note that any additional course undertaken by a student visa holder must be registered with CRICOS. And Galaxy Training Australia is NOT registered on CRICOS.

Galaxy Training Australia, provides assistance, by collecting visa information from the student to verify his/her study entitlements. Students can check their visa conditions, on their own, through Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO). However, it is important to point out that overseas students should abide by the visa conditions, lest it gets cancelled.

What certificate do I get when I complete the course?

Once completed, you are awarded a Nationally Recognised Statement of Attainment which is available for download from "My Courses" page.

You can even get a hard copy version of the certification, a plastic wallet-size card, delivered at your doorstep for an additional postage fee of $15.

How do I get my certificate?
You only get the certificate once you have completed and passed the entire course online, including the verbal assessment. You can check the progress of the course done at the "My Courses" page.
What is the file format of the certificate?
The certificate is in PDF file format.
Can I print the certificate?
Yes, you print the PDF file or get a printed version of it, and a plastic wallet-sized card, for an additional cost of $15.
How can I get a hard copy and plastic card of my "Nationally Recognised Statement of Attainment"?

At the time of payment, you can choose to get a hard copy & a plastic wallet-size card of your "Statement of Attainment". It would be posted to you at an additional cost of $15.

The Statement of Attainment is printed on a high-quality paper & plastic PVC wallet-size card and sent via Australia Post in a tough bag. It will be sent the next business day within issuing your Statement of Attainment or receiving your payment, whichever happens later. However, delivery times shall vary depending on the location.

Do I need to complete the course in one session?


You can start and stop whenever you like, and resume later from the same point. The system automatically records all your progress and saves it on our servers. When you login next time, you can resume your course from where you left, even from a different device than the one you originally started with.

How long does the online RSA or RSG course take to complete?
The course completion time depends on your current knowledge, experience and your computer skills. It generally takes 3-6 hours to complete an RSA/RSG course.
I lost my RSA or RSG certificate. How can I get another copy of it?
If you did your training with us, please find your certificate available for download from "My Courses" page. If you wish to get a printed hard copy and a plastic wallet-size card posted to you, we can arrange that for a small fee of $15.
What is a VET (Vocational Education and Training) Statement of Attainment?

Please check the following links - https://www.business.qld.gov.au/industry/liquor-gaming/liquor/training/rsa/certification, https://www.business.qld.gov.au/industry/liquor-gaming/liquor/training/rsg

A VET statement of attainment is a statement (similar to a certificate) given to a person who has satisfied the requirements of a unit of competency or modules of a VET course.

A VET Statement of Attainment may only be issued by a RTO.

A VET Statement of Attainment does not expire.

How many attempts do I get to answer each question?
It depends on the number of choices for a given question. If you exhaust the maximum number of attempts granted to answer a question, your course progress will be ⏪ reversed back by 3 questions (within the current section).
You may then contact us for feedback or guidance required to complete the course.
When do I have to pay?

One of the best features about GTA is that it allows you to start the course for free. All you need to do is just register and get started. It is only after reaching the end of the free trial that you will need to complete the payment step. You get to pay only when you are satisfied.

Once your payment is done, and you have completed the online knowledge assessment and the online verbal assessment as well, you can download your Certificate/Statement of Attainment from "My Courses" page.

For more information, please visit "Course Flow" page.

How do I pay? How secure is my payment?

Upon reaching the end of the free trial, you will need to complete the payment step. We accept different forms of payment:

  • Credit/Debit card or PayPal account - If you opt for this method, you will be redirected to the secure PayPal payment gateway. Follow the prompts to pay using any Credit/Debit Card or PayPal account. Your instant payments will be received and processed immediately.
  • Internet Banking:
    1. PayID - If you opt for this method, You will be provided with the details needed to initiate a PayID funds transfer. PayID is offered by most Australian banks. PayID payments are fast, secure, and easy.
    2. BSB + Account number - Direct Deposit via internet banking or at a bank branch. Please email us at [email protected] to request our account details.
Can someone else, other than the student, pay for the course? Can billing details be different to student details?


The student details (used to generate the certificate) can be different to those of the billing details. You will be prompted for billing details on the secure PayPal payment gateway. You can provide details different to the student details.

Are there any hidden costs?

No hidden costs.

Course fee: is as advertised on the Courses page.

Postage fee (Optional): At the time of payment you can choose to get a hard copy and a plastic wallet-size card of your "Statement of Attainment" posted to you at an additional cost of $15.

Payment processing fee (Optional): You may be charged a payment processing fee depending on the payment method you choose. We accept payment via internet banking which has no/zero processing fee.

What is GTA Refund Policy?
Are you paying for a - Class? Employees? Clients? - Can I pay in bulk for more than 1 student?
Kindly Contact Us or call us at 07 3062 7222 and we can make bulk payment arrangements for you.
What do I do, If I have a problem which is not listed in FAQs?
Contact Us. Email us at [email protected] or call us at 07 3062 7222.
Supported web browsers?
All modern browsers are supported. For example : Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer and Safari.
What machine/device do I need to complete this course?
Any computer, laptop, tablet or even a smartphone (Yes, our website and content is optimised for smartphones). We do not use Flash like stuff which does not work across platforms. Our site works on any device and platform.
What software do I need to install?
None. You need a device with access to the internet and a web browser. That's it !
Is there any minimum age limit to complete your RSA online course?
You can complete our RSA online course if you are a minor under the age of 18. But, every state/territory has its own legal requirements of whether a minor can work and serve liquor on a licensed premises.
I forgot my password, how can I retrieve it?
Please visit Forgot Password page. Provide the email address you used to create your account and you will receive your account login details in email.
I entered wrong details during sign up. Can it be changed?


You can edit your profile information from My Profile once you have logged in. If you need to update name, email address or birthdate field, please send us an email at : [email protected] and we can amend the profile details for you.

My certificate shows wrong details because I entered wrong details during sign up. Can it be changed?


Your name is printed on your certificate. Please contact us at [email protected] to rectify issues with your certificate.

What is RSA?

RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) means acting within law by dispensing alcohol in a responsible manner, being aware of your duty of care towards patrons, other workers and general community. It involves encouraging customers to drink within appropriate limits.
With the help of responsible service of alcohol practices and training, we can reduce the problem of alcohol abuse and also the costs associated with it.

It is mandatory throughout the country for all people serving alcohol including bar staff, sommeliers, waiting staff (in licensed premises), airline staff, people serving at catered events and so on.

Its primary purpose is harm minimization as set out in a National alcohol strategy by the Federal Government. Under this strategy, each state government is responsible for putting legislation and strategies in place to minimize the harm alcohol causes to various vulnerable groups in society including minors. One of the ways state governments are enabling this national strategy is through mandatory staff training.

This training is based on a national unit of competency called Provide responsible service of alcohol (SITHFAB002) and forms part of a broader hospitality training package recognised under the Australian Qualifications Framework or AQF. Only a Registered Training Organisation is allowed to deliver this training. The unit incorporates the knowledge requirements, under state and territory liquor licensing law, for employees engaged in the sale or service of alcohol.

While this national training standard exists, each state also has their own liquor licensing body and in some cases, they have specific training requirements, such as in Victoria and New South Wales. Queensland also had specific training requirements until 1 July 2013 but now recognises the national training standard.

The type of training delivery allowed also varies between states, with states such as Queensland, Western Australia and South Australia and Northern Territory, accepting online delivery of the National RSA training, while Victoria does not currently recognise online as a valid delivery channel for this type of training. Debate continues as to the benefits of online training versus classroom training, with advocates claiming it delivers benefits such as more consistent and provides better access to rural learners to deliver the training online, while opponents argue that classroom training delivers better learning outcomes.

Regardless of the delivery channel, RSA training is generally founded on the concept of Duty of care and requires managers and staff to take all reasonable precautions to protect patrons and staff by preventing patrons from becoming disorderly and/or suffering alcohol intoxication. Other topics covered include blood alcohol content, the effects of alcohol on human health, a standard drink, how to serve responsibly and how to refuse service.

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_server_training and http://training.gov.au/Training/Details/SITHFAB002

Who needs RSA training?
The unit applies to all levels of sales personnel involved in the sale, service and promotional service of alcohol in licensed premises. Those selling or serving alcohol may include food and beverage attendants; packaged liquor sales persons selling in person, over the phone or online; winery, brewery and distillery cellar door staff; and supplier sales representatives. The unit also applies to security staff who monitor customer behaviour and to the licensee who is ultimately responsible for responsible service of alcohol (RSA) management.
When do I have to do the RSA course?
All new employees involved in the service or supply of liquor have 30 days from the date of commencing employment to obtain their RSA training course certificate.
When will my certificate expire?

A Statement of Attainment issued by us does not expire once obtained, even though the code identifying this course (currently, SITHFAB002 and SITHGAM001) regularly changes. This means that if you hold a Statement of Attainment for 'Provide Responsible Service of Alcohol' and/or ‘Provide Responsible Gambling Services’ from anytime in the past, it remains current irrespective of the course code.

For further details, please check the following links –

What are benefits of RSA?
For customer – safer environment, stay longer and improved health
For premises and staff serving alcohol - reduced cost for security, safer workplace and staff wouldn't have to deal with bad customers, reduced legal problems
For the community - less complaints, reduced violence and less vandalism
What is Gambling?
It is a situation where money is staked on an uncertain outcome. It is gamble when –
Buying a ticket in a raffle

Buying lotto tickets

Playing bingo

Playing in casino

Playing pokies

Playing on slot machine

Buying scratch-Its tickets

Participating in quiz on radio

Betting on match
Who needs RSG training?
The responsible provision of gambling services is an essential underpinning skill for all hospitality personnel involved in the sale and service of gambling activities in licensed premises, including the licensee, gaming supervisors and gaming managers when involved in operational gambling activities. Also it is required for operational job roles including gaming attendant, table game attendant, croupier and multi-skilled food and beverage attendant.
What is Responsible Gambling?

Responsible gambling is the provision of safe, socially responsible and supportive gambling environments where the potential for harm associated with gambling is minimised and people can make informed decisions about their participation in gambling.

What is Problem Gambling?
Problem gambling is characterised by difficulties in limiting money and/or time spent on gambling which leads to adverse consequences for the gambler, others, or for the community.
Why do people gamble?
They hope to win money
They believe in personal luck
To get back the money they have lost
They like the atmosphere and excitement of gambling venues
For the social aspects (company)
They want to 'defy the odds'
They find it as a way to escape their everyday lives (e.g. depression, stress, isolation, boredom)
Why Bundle RSA and RSG?
You can save money on the course fee, when you choose the RSA + RSG bundle.
Is there any difference between bundle course/certificates as compared to RSA/RSG?
Bundle only helps you to save money on the course fee.
It comprises of exactly the same RSA + RSG course, if you were to choose any of these individually.
What is USI?

A Unique Student Identifier (USI) is effectively a reference number made up of numbers and letters that gives you access to your USI account. The USI will stay with you for life and will be recorded with any nationally recognised Vocational Education and Training course that is undertaken from January 2015.

Your USI links to an online account that contains all your training records and results (transcript) that you have completed from 1 January 2015 onwards. Your results from 2015 will be available in your USI account in 2016.

When applying for a job or enrolling in further study, you will often need to provide your training records and results (transcript). One of the main benefits of the USI is the ability to provide students with easy access to their training records and results (transcript) throughout their life.

You can access your USI account online from your computer, tablet or smartphone anytime.

Student Video

(I am not a student) Why do I need a USI?

For the purpose of the training offered by Galaxy Training Australia, every user/learner is a student and needs a USI.

The USI will allow you to have easier and more reliable online access to your record of training history. You will also be able to produce a comprehensive transcript of your training. This can be used when applying for a job, seeking a credit transfer or demonstrating pre-requisites when undertaking further training.

Where can I get a USI?
You can apply for your own USI in the USI Registry. Create your USI
Who needs a Unique Student Identifier (USI)?
A USI is required for any nationally recognised training (qualifications, accredited courses, skill sets and units of competency). If any of the units undertaken by students as part of their study are listed on training.gov.au then they are regarded as nationally accredited training and therefore the student will require a USI, this includes international students. Offshore students are individually defined under the USI and may have different requirements.
I cannot verify my identity. What should I do?

Please ensure :

  • your First Name, Middle Names and Family Names on your form of ID are exactly the same as you entered on your Personal Details
  • all other details on your form of ID are correct
  • the form of ID has not expired

For any issues related to USI, you may contact USI Helpline (Students) -

  • USI Help centre: Students
  • Calling within Australia - 1300 857 536
  • International callers use – +61 2 6240 8740
  • Student/Trainee Help Requests: usiadmin@education.gov.au
  • Student/Trainee Enquiries: usi@education.gov.au

What forms of ID are acceptable to create a USI?
When you create your USI or when someone creates a USI on your behalf, the USI system will confirm the details you have entered match exactly with those on your chosen form of ID from the list below.
  • Driver's Licence
  • Medicare Card
  • Australian Passport
  • Non-Australian Passport (with Australian Visa)
  • Birth Certificate (Australian) *please note a Birth Certificate extract is not sufficient
  • Certificate Of Registration By Descent
  • Citizenship Certificate
  • ImmiCard
Having problem creating a USI? How can I contact USI team?
For any queries related to USI, please contact USI Team at –
  • USI Help centre: Students
  • Calling within Australia - 1300 857 536
  • International callers use – +61 2 6240 8740
  • Student/Trainee Help Requests: usiadmin@education.gov.au
  • Student/Trainee Enquiries: usi@education.gov.au

Visit www.usi.gov.au for details